Hi and welcome to my blog, I'm Julie. I live in Hertfordshire with my husband, 2 children, 3 chickens and a lot of wool.
Here you'll find I write mostly about knitting, which is my favourite way to spend my free time and it's helped keep me sane through some of the more difficult times with our son who is severely autistic. Family life is a bit of a rollercoaster ride and I also write a little about our experiences in the hope of helping others in a similar situation and to give a little insight into some aspects of life with an autistic child. I also write about the countryside and wildlife that also inhabit this little corner of leafy green Hertfordshire.
There are some free knitting patterns for you to use (see the 'free patterns' button on the right). I also have patterns available to purchase, it's a small range of toys and novelties at the moment but I hope to keep adding new ones. I'll keep the blog here and my ravelry page up to date with any new releases.
A little bit about me:
I trained as a graphic designer and since graduating I've worked as an illustrator, in sales & marketing and more recently as full-time mum and part time knitter. I was nine when my Mum and Gangan taught me to knit and knitting has been a part of my life in some shape or form ever since. I knit to keep stress at bay, to have a creative outlet in my life but mostly because it simply makes me happy.
Since 2005 I've supplied my knitted work to various outlets: Hope & May, Gibbs & Ward, London Mummy, The Cross in Holland Park, Lilymay in Brighton & Mahar Drygoods in the USA. I currently sell what I make through my Etsy shop and although I'm unable to take on orders I am always making new items and will keep my mailing list up to date with anything newly available. To be added to this list please use the sign up form in the column on the right there.
I like a quiet life and the other things that bring me pleasure are:
- listening to music - Ludovico Einaudi on a sunny Sunday morning, The Wailin Jennys in the quiet of the evening when the children are in bed, Nick Drake when it's raining or I'm down and '80's disco when I feel full of life and want to dance with the children.
- cooking and eating, especially homemade cake, cold rhubarb crumble with custard, goat cheese with tomatoes and I like drinking tea from a nice cup.
- being outdoors, especially the smells of mushroomy earth, cut grass and thyme and the sounds of birdsong and the wind in the trees.
- growing things in my little garden, especially things to eat; herbs, vegetables and raspberries warmed by the sun.
- hills and woods, camping and the sound of rain on your tent when you're warm & dry inside.
- buying yarn, knitting, singing when I'm happy, reading other people's blogs, warm socks and cosy cardis
and I love being a mum.